Amateur Sports Development Fund
The Amateur Sports Development Fund (ASDF) has been assisting Western New York amateur athletes and organizations since 1993. It was originally set-up to assist the World University Games, however over the past 20+ years, more than 100 organizations have benefited from the fund with the total amount distributed in excess of $120,000. Money is awarded to amateur athletes, teams and organizations seeking financial assistance to foster the pursuit of a higher level of athletic achievement.
On June 3, Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame president Therese Forton-Barnes and former president, Brian Cavanaugh announced the 2015 recipients of the organization’s Amateur Sports Development Fund. A total of $11,950 was awarded to 10 Western New York youth groups and individuals.
2015 Donation Recipients:
- Alexis Crotty – Purchase of new mogul skis
- Patricia Mangan – Skier, who is travelling to USA Olympic team events
- Alexandra McGee – Swimmer, who is travelling to USA Junior Nationals
- Ken White – Tennis player who is travelling for the USTA/ITF World Cup Team
- Hill Butler Giants Football and Cheer Association – Funds to re-construct a damaged concession stand
- North Cheektowaga Amateur Athletic Association – Purchase of softball and football helmets
- Police Athletic League of Buffalo – Purchase of athletic equipment
- Queen City Roller Girls – Travel to Women’s Flat Track Derby Association playoffs
- University District Community Development Association – Purchase of athletic equipment
- WNY Elite Basketball – Purchase of new uniforms
The ASDF committee reviewed several applications for funds this year. Groups seeking financial assistance in 2016 can complete the application – Click here to download asdf-application »