Amateur Sports Development Fund
The Amateur Sports Development Fund (ASDF) has been assisting Western New York amateur athletes and organizations since 1993. It was originally set-up to assist the World University Games, however over the past 20+ years, more than 100 organizations have benefited from the fund with the total amount distributed in excess of $120,000. Money is awarded to amateur athletes, teams and organizations seeking financial assistance to foster the pursuit of a higher level of athletic achievement.
On June 3, Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame president Therese Forton-Barnes and former president, Brian Cavanaugh announced the 2015 recipients of the organization’s Amateur Sports Development Fund. A total of $11,950 was awarded to 10 Western New York youth groups and individuals.
2015 Donation Recipients:
- Hans Gardner – Skier who is training to become a member of the US Olympic team. Funds provided for equipment and travel expense to Lake Placid FIS Cup.
- Anita Alvarez – Kenmore swimmer from the Town of Tonawanda Aquettes Synchronized Swimming Team which was founded by 1995 GBSHOF inductee Dorothy Sowers. Funds provided for travel to Fina Junior World Championships in Helsinki, Finland (July 27-August 3).
- Buffalo City Swim Racers – Provided funds for program which provides learn to swim opportunities for low income families in Buffalo since 2012.
- SABAH (Skating Association for the Blind & Handicapped) in Buffalo – Provided funds for the purchase of goalie equipment for the Adaptive Ice Hockey Program.
- Northtowns Soccer Club – Provided funds to help replace soccer nets to anti tips nets for the safety of the youth players in North Tonawanda.
- Cataract Little Loop Football – Provided funds for the purchase of equipment for 6-13 year olds of the football program in Niagara Falls, which was founded in 1969.
- Cheektowaga Central Outdoor Track Team – Provided funds for members of the team to travel to Greensboro, NC for the New Balance National Track & Field Championships.
- West Seneca Youth Hockey Association – Provided funds to help purchase official rink dividers as required by USA Hockey for the beginner/cross-rink programs.
The ASDF committee reviewed several applications for funds this year. Groups seeking financial assistance in 2016 can complete the application – Click here to download asdf-application »