New Era & GBSHF Combine to Offer Scholarship to High School Athletes
Buffalo, NY – The Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame (GBSHOF) is accepting applications for the newly created New Era Student-Athlete Scholarship. The scholarship, which includes two $2,500.00 grants awarded to a deserving male and female, was created in 2012 to recognize deserving high school student-athletes who excel, not only in their respective athletic endeavor(s), but in the classroom, as well.
In addition, the scholarship seeks student-athletes who express themselves and their individuality, and who participate in extra-curricular activities including, but not limited to, community outreach, student government, theatre, clubs/groups, organizations, etc.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for both us and New Era to make a positive impact in the Western New York community,” said GBSHOF President Therese Forton-Barnes. “On behalf of our board, I want to thank New Era CEO Chris Koch and his staff for working with us on this tremendous endeavor.”
Successful candidates for the scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- be a graduating senior in the year of the application.
- be admitted to an accredited college or university of their choice (check will be officially awarded after proper notification of enrollment is received through the college / university).
- reside in the greater Western New York region.
- develop an essay in which the applicant offers insight into his/her self-expression, creativity and individuality through activities, hobbies, interest, etc. In essence, tell us what makes you, your lifestyle and your passions unique.
- complete the application and include submission of at least three letters of recommendation.
Deadline for submission is February 28, 2013.